AK in Japan!

A collection of Aaron's thoughts, musings, reflections and pics while living and working in Japan. It will serve both as a personal journal, and as a vehicle for sharing with those who are interested... enjoy!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Winter
It’s been a long time since I have written. Not much has been going on here. Highlights that have happened between the last time I wrote and now have been a fun trip back home to Oregon, English Camp, and a lot of skiing.

Home
Going home was a wonderful treat. I was so excited in the days leading up to going home. The first thing I was struck by being back in western world was just how big people were! Right when I arrived in Seattle I was shocked by both the physical size of people, and by how large our energy/persona was. People seemed to be big in every way, big voice, big bags, big strides, big helpings of food. I guess living in Japan I have become so used to things being much smaller, and the people being a lot quieter with their voice, and with how they carry their energy. The Japanese way of being humble has grown on me and really appeals to me. (Left: Mcennamins with some of the T-Hills Alums. Elsie Windes, second from the right, will be in the 2008 Olympics for water polo! GO Else!)

Don’t get me wrong, that was only my initial impression. It was wonderful going to my parents house and opening a stocked fridge filled with delicious food; good cheese, bread, dips, Mexican food… the list goes on. My first night home there was an water polo alumni game out at T-Hills that I participated in. I wasn’t in shape to do very well in the pool, but it was so great to see all of my old polo friends. Some of us went out to the McMinnamins Roadhouse afterwards and there I enjoyed my first Microbrew in 18 months as well as an amazing Northwest salad and a Captain Neon Burger (blue cheese and bacon). This slammin’ feast was just the first of many to come over the next two weeks.

This year, Christmas was at my cousin Joanna’s new house in Milwaukie. Seeing all my family in one place was a joyous occasion. Here are some pics from that night: (Left: Me, Moms, CK aka "New and Improved Golden Fro", and Bobs

On New Year’s Eve Pink Martini was doing a show at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, something they have (Left: Pink Martini) been doing for the past few years. Well, one of my best buddies, Charlie Bradshaw has been their tour manager for the past two years, and he scored Ben and I tickets for some great seats. The show was amazing. Pink Martini never ceases to surprise me with the blend of musical sounds from all over the world. Ben and I tried to find some action going on around downtown after the show but were a bit disappointed to find Portland rather quiet and many places were closed! Ahh Portland, some things never change! But it was a quality New Year celebration with fantastic music and the company of a good friend. Thanks Chuck and Ben!

On one of my final nights in Oregon some of my friends all got together for a great dinner at the Montage, one of Portland’s legendary dining establishments. In attendance were: Chad, Ben, Blaine, Eric, Scotty Manos and his wife and child, Jared and his wife, and Mike and Ikuko, my friends from the JET Program who had JUST moved to Portland that day. It was an amazing evening of friends, good food, good wine, and a bit of billiards. I felt honored that I had these wonderful people in my life who would come out to spend some time with me before I headed back to Japan. I hadn’t seen Scotty Manos or Jared in ages and hadn’t met their wives, so it was good seeing some old friends. (upper left: Jared, Ben, Chad, myself, Blaine, Eric= eastside biznitches!)

In all it was great to go home. I spent a little too much money and ate too much food (I gained 8 lbs!) but it was well worth it. It was useful for me in the fact that it prepared me for when I go home for good in August, and this is what I was hoping for. It got me ready for the reverse culture shock that I would experience, for the re-acclimation to the US cuisine, and gave me a good blast of friends and family, which reminded me why I wanted to go home in the first place. (Left: New residents to Portland, Mike and Iku-chan, meeting one of Portland's long-time citizens)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes Aaron--it was SSSOOOOOO nice to have you home and we can't wait to see you again this summer. We will be happy to help you re-acclimate to Portland food and family and friends.
TK (Mom)

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home