AK in Japan!

A collection of Aaron's thoughts, musings, reflections and pics while living and working in Japan. It will serve both as a personal journal, and as a vehicle for sharing with those who are interested... enjoy!

Sunday, February 25, 2007

The next day, Al and I saw Erin off at the airport- she was heading back to the motherland. I was sad to see her go, as we had an awesome whirlwind tour of a bit of Japan, and some fantastic Thailand beaches. But, in all, I think she had a good winter break- for me, it would sure beat staying home for the winter. I’ve been so blessed to have a few visitors this year, and I always get so sad after they are gone. I’m so in the moment that I’m never sad until the moment that they have just left, and I’m heading back home and I think… “Wait a minute… where’d they go? I’m all alone!” But then I thank the lord for their company in the first place and I switch to looking at the bright side: at least I have loving, caring friends at all. Thank you, friends!

On the January 1st, Alan and I stayed in one of the many capsule hotels in Japan. These are literally exactly what they sound like: coffin-like rectangular tubes in the wall that you sleep in for the night. They come complete with power outlet, built in TV and radio with headphones, blankie, pillow, free toiletries, and a price that’s hard to beat in Japan($30-40). One floor of the building is pure lockers, for all of your things. The idea is that you get there, and put on a robe and just wear that, and really it is quite comfortable. On another floor is the public bath, showers, coin washer and dryer, ironing board. The interesting thing about Capsule Hotels is that 98% of them are men only. I don’t know why exactly this is, but I figure the recipe of a bunch of single, often drunk young men, an unmonitored multi-floored building, public baths, a non-confrontational society and capsules that don’t have locking doors and well, some sort of sexual harassment or worse would be bound to happen. There are a few capsules that are mixed, but I’ve heard they have separate monitored elevators and these only open at their respectfully sexually-segregated floors. The capsule hotel was a super fun experience. If you’re ever in Japan, guys, check one out for cheap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home